Thursday, November 18, 2010

Streetcar Escapes!

My Streetcar cat escaped over the weekend, while I was away. Jesse said when he came by to check on the cats that the front door was open-the lock was turned on, but the door itself was open several inches, and the screen was latched. Only thing I can think is that when I left, I forgot something and ran back in to get it, and either the cat dashed out when I left from that, or I just didn’t pull the door all the way shut (which usually I do, pull it shut and check it) and he got it open.
Anyway, I got home, and Prettypurr was at the entryway to greet me but Streetcar wasn’t, so I looked through the house for him, and no black & white cat. Looked again. No Streetcar. Called him. Looked in the rooms that the doors were shut to. No Streetcar. Starting to panic. Check for messages, check email, and there’s one from Jesse, explaining about the open door. Now I am really panicked. Went outside and looked, called him. No Streetcar.
Look through the house and outside one more time, and had a complete and total melt down.
Drove through the trailer park, back to the house, looked around the storage trailer and theatre. No Streetcar.
Went to my meeting, but couldn’t give the attention I should have, because of being worried about him. Got home, put on the outside lights and looked some more, pulled up the skirting and looked under the house, went into the woods, looked in the shed. No Streetcar. Left the outside lights on, in case he was watching, so he’d know that I was home.
Called Sara and had another melt down. She reassured me he could just be hiding, and don’t give up, but I was sure, because of the feeling I’d had all weekend that something bad was happening/going to happen (like going to two funerals in three days wasn’t bad enough). Now what about the book, how could I let him be gone, after what he’s already gone through, and so on.
Well, have to do something, so I made up a poster to put around, and was going out to put some up, opened the door and there he was on the deck, wanting to know why I hadn’t let him in.
I dropped everything and grabbed him “Where were you? Don’t ever do that to me again!” He just purred.
He must have had ‘outdoors’ scent on him, because Prettypurr hissed and hissed at him, and he acted real spooky for a couple of days, but now both are back to their version of normal.
So am I. Mostly.
As Sara said ‘dumb-ass animals, anyway!’ Is it wrong to get that way about a cat? I don’t think so, given what he is, what he represents to me. I’m just a mess about my animals and that’s all there is to it.

No comments: