Monday, February 18, 2008

Running Free

I wrote this for my e-friend Marti a couple of weeks ago, after she had to have her beloved mare Rushbruk Gabriella put down due to colic. It's for everyone who has an animal waiting for them at the Rainbow Bridge. Although, as my sister said, when my mother passed away, 'She's not going to like meeting some of those cows there!'

PS, these words started wandering around in my head while I was in the shower. That's where and when more than a few of my 'inspirations' come from. I'm not even going to try to figure out that association - and it's probably best if you don't either.

The grass is green, the hay is sweet

Where I am running free

There’s some old friends again to meet

Where I am running free

A field we crossed, a lane we rode

A memory that gets retold

That’s always warm and always strong

In this new world where nothing’s wrong

The wind blows through my mane and tail

And I can leap the highest rail

Lift my knees high and toss my head

And perk my ears at what’s ahead

In this new world where nothing’s wrong

All that we did will now belong

While you keep the memory

And know that I am running free.

No comments: