Monday, September 21, 2009

A beagle named Lemon

What’s that line: ‘If you have ESP, raise my hand. . .’? Well, I’m not really claiming there’s some of it in my family, but there have been some things take place that, as I like to put it, ‘have no other ‘rational’ explanation’. I’ve had things happen, and my daughter has as well, and now I think maybe the grandson is on the same wave length. Actually, I’m pretty sure he is, starting from the day he was born.
My good friend Dawn and her family were very much in favor of Sara and Goeff getting married, even though mixed race couples were not a big thing in our area. Dawn had gotten married over the winter, and was looking forward to their wedding, when she was killed in a freak car accident. Dawn had always wanted children and couldn’t have any, and it was one sadness in her otherwise happy life. Sara’s wedding was two months after Dawn’s death. Stephen was born a year to the day after it.
Now, I am told, Stephen has gotten himself a dog, a cute little beagle. What the hell he needs with a dog, let alone a hunting dog, escapes me, but whatever. My father had beagles; he enjoyed rabbit hunting a lot. He loved going out in the winter, up in Indian Lake, after the snowshoe rabbits, and even got a beagle specially bred for that. She got named Mame, because she had sort of reddish marking, and the grandkids, very young at the time, had just seen the show ‘Mame’ at the theatre, in which the star had red hair. (Oh, don’t get me started on naming animals, how we named the cows is a story of it’s own.) Mame had pups, and one had sort of yellowish markings, so she got named ‘Lemon’.
Now, all of this was long before Stephen was even a thought, in fact my father died and my mother gave the dogs back to the person my father had gotten them from when Sara was a teenager. We may have told a story about the dogs when he was around, but nobody remembers doing that.
Stephen’s beagle has sort of dark yellow markings, and he has named it Lemon.
Go ahead – if you have ESP, raise my hand. Or raise Stephen’s hand. Or pet the beagle.

No comments: