Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Memorial Day – for most the unofficial beginning of summer, a day off from work or school, a cookout, first day at the beach, parades. For some pride, for others grim remembering, for still others sadness and closely held memories. A day set aside to honor those who fought, who are still fighting for freedom, sometimes our country’s own, sometimes others who needed our country’s help. I’m thinking maybe more people consider it the day for grilling and beer, and don’t think enough about the real reason for the day. Those who fought and fell, who still fight and fear for their lives should be thought of every day, not just one a year, yet I’m thinking maybe too many of us don’t think of them enough, don’t thank them enough whether it is silently or to their face now and then. I admit I don’t.
Whether you approve of/support the current fighting or not, whatever you think of the wars and the reasons behind them, the people who put our country into these conflicts, we all need to support the people who are out there, over there in the midst of them. They are doing their job, a job that is voluntary these days, and we can only hope and pray that they do it well enough to come home to their lives and families. So here’s what I think: you should say whatever kind of prayer you use that they do, and next time you see a uniform, say thank you. They deserve it.
I think I’ll go watch the parade, and wave and say thank you, whether they can hear me or not.

No comments: