Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Sunday morning sermon

The Tony Awards are presented tonight – Broadway’s equivalent of the Oscars, the awards every show hopes to win, to insure a place in the record books and hopefully boost ticket sales and create a longer run.
One of the shows nominated for several awards is ‘The Book of Mormon’. It’s billed as a ‘religious satire musical’. It’s written by the creators of the animated series ‘South Park’. I haven’t seen the show, nor have I ever watched the series, which, from what I’ve heard, is very – for want of another term – irreverent, and has language that used to be banned from tv.
Several friends have seen ‘The Book of Mormon’ and have raved about how good the show is. They say the show is very funny, the story line is sweet, the songs and dancing great and overall it’s the best they’ve seen – and they’ve seen (and been in) a lot.
The authors call the show ‘an atheist’s love letter to religion’.
I haven’t seen the show, haven’t listened to the score, and probably won’t. Not that I don’t like comedy, musicals, sweet stories. But one song in the show is titled: "Hasa Diga Eebowai", which translates from the Ugandan in the show to ‘Fuck You, God’. I just can’t rationalize, in any context or translation, a show that has a song with that title in it.
Not that I’m a prude, I admit to being a long way from that and to using the word myself probably way more than should be done. And I’m not overly religious either, although I do have some beliefs that go along religious lines – and some that probably don’t.
But to put a song with that title and theme into a musical show – nope, just can’t understand that. Just can’t understand what it adds to any plot. Just don’t understand the creative process that would come up with something like that.
So, I guess I just won’t be hoping that the show wins any awards. And I hope that someone points out the wrongness of that title, that song. It probably won’t be done, but I can hope.
Because here’s what I think: that whether you believe in God (or any God) or not, to so crudely and blatantly and publicly send the message that title and song do – and you can say all you want that it’s a satire and people know that (which I’m not sure all people will realize)- is just wrong. And it should be noted as wrong, not given an award for it.

1 comment:

OLDMANC said...

THANK YOU BARBARA, FOR THIS WRITING... I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY !! SOME PEOPLE LIKE AND SAY GREAT THINGS ABOUT "two and a half men" I WATCHED ABOUT 15 MINUTES OF IT ONCE AND THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME.. THE STORY LINE, THE SCRIPT WERE JUST PLAIN NASTY AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED.. SOME SAY THAT IS THE WAY PEOPLE ARE AND TALK.. WELL, NOT THIS PERSON OR MY FAMILY !! I CAN'T SAY THAT WE ARE PRUDES BY ANY MEANS BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE STUPID, VIOLENT, SEXIST OR NASTY WITH YOUR ACTIONS OR YOUR VOCABULARY !!