Wednesday, June 26, 2013

AND THE MOUSE GOES ON, THE MOUSE GOES ON………


The saga of the mouse (well, probably not the same one) continues: Monday night I woke up to some bumping and crashing in the kitchen.  I have some shelves on one wall there, two packed with mugs, and one with mugs on hooks and some cute old bottles on a narrow shelf.  Turned on lights and went in there and a couple of the little bottles were on the floor, and Prettypurr was pacing around on the floor under the shelves.  Said ‘whatever’, put the bottles back and went back to bed.  A while later more crashes, went back in the kitchen and Prettypurr was hanging by two paws from the edge of the lower shelf that has the mugs on it, trying to climb up onto it.  I discouraged her from that notion – her weight (I believe I mentioned she’s on the portly side) would no doubt bring the whole thing down!  She cursed me, and we all went back to bed.  No more crashing, but there was evidence that she’d been playing mouse hockey in the tub during the night.  Last night passed peacefully, or so I thought, until I got up and saw the curtain rod and curtains from the kitchen windows laying across the table.  ‘What the hey?’ said I, and looked further to see a mouse cowering on the top of the window frame.  And Prettypurr pacing underneath it, of course.  I got the usual container to try to capture and release the mouse but it got away from me – and peed down the wall in the process.  I believe it went under the dry sink and cupboard that I have along the wall by the kitchen, because the cat was very attentive to the underside of those, and went in to the dry sink to see if it had gotten in there; since she came out alone I presume it hadn’t.  I found more evidence of a mouse hockey match in the tub, and when I left the cat was halfway under the chair in my bedroom, but she wouldn’t say if she was mouse-watching or just hanging out.  No doubt this saga will continue, as there seems to be a never ending supply of mice.  They are supposed to be outside at this time of year!   

No comments: