Sunday, May 24, 2009

Give me my stuff back!

When I was a kid, whenever anything couldn’t be found in our house, it was because “Clarence took it”. I have no idea who started it, or how this ‘spirit’ got named Clarence, but if there was something missing or eventually it expanded to whenever something went wrong, it was because of Clarence. Frequently the lost things were found, and it was because Clarence was done with them and brought them back.
Well, I’d like the family to know that Clarence lives. He’s moved into my house. I freely admit that the house is a mess, with a lot of clutter for things to hide in. But there are some things missing that there is no explanation for except Clarence.
My small digital camera. Last I remember having it, was when I was seeing what photos were left on the memory cards, because for reasons known only to the digital world, the whole Kodak photo folder did not transfer over when I got my new computer, and I was asking Laurie (she and husband Carl do my computer work) about retrieving them from the old hard drive. Thought I put it back in the little case in my bag. Went to use it a couple of months later and nope, not there – or anyplace else that I can find.
And, in the past couple of weeks the camera has been joined by several other things. My gold ‘inheritance’ring, for example. Last I remember I took it to NYC to wear during auditions. Went to the box it usually lives in a week or so ago and the box is empty. My last clear recollection is that I took it off one afternoon and put it in my wallet, or maybe I took it off in the hotel shower and put it in my shower bag. Haven’t looked either place because I don’t want to not find it and then try to figure out where it might have gone.
Then there’s my travel drive, had that in my bag, used it either home or at the theatre to transfer some files. Yep, that’s missing, too.
And a nice silver chain that I just bought a week ago for the lovely little mother-grandmother pendant Sara got me several years ago for Mother’s Day. I know I put the chain and the pendant in the little wicker basket on my nightstand where my pocket stuff goes at night. Found the pendant, not the chain.
The latest is a pair of jeans. Now mind you I have a whole lot of jeans, because when I was driving I had a bunch for the truck, but I also had some nicer ones to wear for non-truck times. (OK, it’s weird, what can I say, everybody has their ‘thing’.) These are a sort of brown color and I went to get them to wear today and they are nowhere to be found.
So, Clarence is clearly living in my house. It couldn’t be that I am just not looking hard enough for these things, and somehow am managing to overlook them, or just plain forgot where I put them. I will blame the silver chain on the cats, because Streetcar was trying to play with it just before I put it in the basket; one of them may have snagged it out of the basket and it’s now buried under a rug or under the bed or some such place. The rest – it’s gotta be Clarence.
So, c’mon, Clarence – what do you want with a worn old pair of size 14 brownish jeans? Here’s what I think – you’re trying to push me over the edge. Give me my stuff back!

No comments: