Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Good man

I went to the memorial service for the father of a friend yesterday. I had briefly met the man once or twice; the friend is Andrew Gmoser (the ‘G’ is silent, and that made for some of the comments at the service) who has been the lighting designer at the theatre for I think this will be 14 years now, and his family has come to visit and see shows a few times.
At the end of the service I was sorry I didn’t know him better. And I’m thinking that’s not a bad way to leave this world, after being in it for 86 years, to have had a life that the comments about it make people wish they’d known you better.
There was much singing, several readings, most of which brought many laughs, a program included stories from friends and family, and towards the end they played ‘The Stars and Stripes Forever, because he enjoyed Sousa’s marches.
He seemed a very Good man (and the G is pronounced in that). Condolences to his family and may his memories support you in the times ahead.
Of course any such event makes one think about one’s own mortality – makes this one think about it anyway. Also makes this one wonder what might be said at such an event for one. I think I’m gonna leave instructions on some music to play and/or sing, and to only tell funny stories – there ought to be enough of those, Cow knows*.

No comments: