Sunday, April 4, 2010

THE GREAT PEEPS CONTROVERSY

Peeps. Love ‘em or hate em’. Peeps have been taking up a large share of the comments from my Facebook friends this morning. I said that it was permissible for adults to eat peeps for breakfast on Easter, and a friend sent back ‘well, yeah!’. So that’s what I’m doing right now.
Used to be Peeps were just yellow chicks. Now there are lavender, blue, green. And bunnies in all those colors as well. I guess that’s ok, and helps the company sell more of them, but you’re messing with tradition here, folks. Although I have to confess I bought green bunnies yesterday along with the yellow chick.
How to eat Peeps? Do you nibble out the tiny chocolate eyes first? Bite the tail off? Or just go for the whole thing in one bite. Everybody no doubt has their own preferred method. Same with the bunnies – ears first or last?
More important, Peeps fresh out of the box or left out to get a little or a lot hard?
I don’t even care that much for marshmallows (S’Mores aside) but I gotta have my Peeps at Easter. Soft, right out of the box, not hardened.
Now, oh the sacrilege of it all, there are also Christmas Peeps. I, for one, will not indulge. Some things just are not right. I mean, it’s not Easter without Peeps, but Christmas? That’s like having striped peppermint eggs for Easter. Just not right.
I’ve got a friend who admits to being afraid of Peeps. A childhood trauma, no doubt. You know who you are, and I will be thinking of you when I eat the green bunny – ears first.

No comments: