Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gun Control Email

I received the first part of this in a forwarded email a few days ago. I’ve put my thoughts about gun control on this blog before, but I’ll do it again, just because – well, just because. I’ll say again, I’m not against RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and use. I’ve owned guns and used guns and had and still have family who hunt. (Although my father was a pioneer in hunting with a bow and arrow, and was the first person known to shoot a deer with those since the time of the Indians, back in the late 1950’s-but I digress, as usual).
What I am against is the urging ‘contact your congressman’ and sending half-assed things like this out to people who will do just that without having all the information – and I’m really against making it one particular person’s ‘fault’ because the guy you wanted didn’t get elected. And I’m not getting any more political than that because I hate politics.
Anyway, for what it’s worth to you personally, here’s what someone sent to me (a person I never knew was concerned with guns) and what I said about it. For what it’s worth, Here’s What I Think:

The email I received:
Time to ring your Congressman's phones off the hook. This is like revoking the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. And it opens your homes to direct government invasion without a warrant or any reason at all.
D
Subject: H E R E I T C O M E S !!!

GET THIS OUT!
HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009
Please send this to everybody on your list... this is Obama guncontrol by secrecy.
________________________________________

Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House.
This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009.
We just learned yesterday about this on the Peter Boyles radio program.
Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because it is flying under the radar.
To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

.It is registered
.You are fingerprinted
.You supply a current Driver's License
.You supply your Social Security #
.You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing
.Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25
- Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.

.There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.

The Government would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many options to read this..
http://www.opencong ress.org/ bill/111- h45/text

It is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the wordalong.
FAILURE TO DO SO AT YOUR PERIL!

Any hunters in your family - pass this along.

Peter Boyles is on this and having guests. Listen to him on KHOW 630 a.m. in the morning.

He suggests the best way to fight this is to tell all your friends about it and "spring into action".
Also he suggests we all join a pro-gun group like the Colorado Rifle Association, hunting associations, gun clubs and especially the NRA..

This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it.

This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not.
The Second Amendment... .America's original homeland security




My response:
Sorry, but: Virginia Tech last year - 30+ shot and killed if I remember right? Two weeks ago in Binghamton, NY - 13 shot and killed. Two days ago in Schenectady, NY - 2 shot and killed. Last week in Albany, NY - shooter sentenced to life in prison for 3 shot and killed last summer. Alabama about a month ago, what was that, 7 shot and killed or was it more. A pre-teen boy at a gun show in Westfield, MA - shot and killed himself looking at a gun. Two or three or more families, children and all in the past couple of months - shot and killed, murder/suicides.
I am for as much legislation as it takes. This is not forbidding people to have guns, and if it saves one person from being shot and killed, I cannot argue with it.
I have read the provisions below several times and I don't see where it takes away your right to own a gun. Anyone wanting a gun for LEGAL - like hunting - purposes should have no problem with this.
I also went to the website allegedly quoted, wondering who Blair Holt is, and why this is 'Obama gun control by secrecy' and found this:
on the afternoon of May 10, 2007, Blair Holt, a junior at Julian High School in Chicago, was killed on a public bus riding home from school when he used his body to shield a girl who was in the line of fire after a young man boarded the bus and started shooting.
So it appears that Blair Holt is yet another person shot and killed.
The bill was introduced January 9, 2009 - before Obama was inaugurated.
And what is so secret about this? It is obviously out there where anyone interested can see it, read it, and form their own conclusions. Looks pretty straightforward to me. The government wants to put stronger gun controls into effect. Maybe I'm not getting it, but all the parts I read (and I admit I didn't read it thoroughly, just skimmed through) made sense. Background check on who buys a gun - that's pretty much 'DUH' to me. Registering guns, when so many are used to shoot and kill people - another 'DUH'. Reporting a gun stolen within 72 hours - well, wouldn't you want someone who stole something from you caught? Only can help. Wouldn't you want to feel that your gun wasn't being used to shoot and kill someone?
I don't have guns any more, but I have. I don't hunt but come from a family who did. None of us would have had a problem with this legislation. Especially if it meant it might keep even one person from being shot and killed.
Sorry, folks, can't sign up for this one. And I would take the chance of pissing people off to say that maybe you should just read the proposed legislation for yourselves, without having Peter Boyles, whoever he is, in your ear, and without trying to make it a political thing against Obama. Just read the words and then think how much of an inconvenience you would be willing to put up with if it prevented one person from being shot and killed.
Nope, I don't mind if you disagree with me and tell me you do.
Barbara

PS: so far not one of the people has responded, and I did ‘reply all’ the response.

No comments: