Saturday, January 17, 2009

ALL I KNOW IS WHAT I READ IN THE PAPERS

ALL I KNOW IS WHAT I READ IN THE PAPERS

Will Rogers said that first, but looking at some of the headlines makes me want to comment. And there’s never a lack of something that invites it.

Friday, January 15, 2009:

Of course today the big news is the plane crash in the Hudson River. What a colossal job of flying that pilot did, he is indeed a hero. Right behind him are the crew and the passengers who got themselves out without a mass panic, and the rescue workers who were right there and got everyone out of the water. What an example of everything going exactly right when it could have gone horribly wrong. Just imagine the carnage if he had not been able to put the plane down in the water, but it crashed into a New York City street or neighborhood. No, let’s don’t imagine it, let’s just all give a little prayer of thanks for those people being saved.

'God was certainly looking out for all of us' - whichever one you pray to, he certainly was.

Jailed rapper DMX calls pink jumpsuits 'disrespectful' - Um, ‘Hi’ - you’re in jail. You’re probably in jail for a reason, some of which no doubt included being disrespectful of someone else’s life, person, property, or whatever. Suck it up, big guy, and start being a man.

Saturday, January 17, 2009:

Big news all over is the weather. And still the plane crash. And the inauguration.

Weather: it’s, depending on what I read either -2 or -10 here - I can’t see my thermometer because the wind the other night blew something in front of it and I haven’t wanted to wade through the snow to move it so I can see. Cold enough, whichever the actual temp is. People are griping but I keep saying ‘it’s what winter used to be’. We had a few easy ones and they got spoiled, I guess. Birds are busy at the feeders and the squirrels are leaving track in the snow, but so far the deer have not come to raid the bird feeders.

The plane crash, everyone has seen everything on the news and it’s still a miracle, people are still heroes.

The inauguration. Obama boarding the train to take Lincoln’s train ride from Philadelphia to Washington. He’s a different kind of guy, with the odds against him right from the start. Here’s hoping he can give the guidance to turn things around, and that there are not too many people just against him for the wrong reasons to not cooperate. Not trying to get political here, but I kind of have to agree it’s time for some kind of a change.

Of course that would have to spread throughout the country and change a lot of the thinking of a whole lot of people and I don’t see that happening, Scooter.

Better get going here, somebody’s gonna show up with costumes and I’m still in the pj’s.

Let’s see what tomorrow’s headlines bring.

No comments: